Friday, July 3, 2009

I wish . . .

Are there things you wish you remembered how to do or would like to alter about yourself- not in a negative I-can't-stand-myself-sort-of-way, but in an oooh-that-would-be-so-great approach?

I wish. . . .

. . . I remembered how to suck the juice out of honeysuckle. As a child, I did this all the time in the summer, but I wouldn't even know where to start if I tried it now.


. . . I liked more fruits and vegetables. I've toyed with the idea of joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) (http://www.localharvest.org/csa/) just so I'd have to learn how to cook and eat more fresh fruit and vegetables, and I still may do so. Since my poor dietary choices tend to rub off on the rest of my family, it is definitely something to consider.

. . . I had worked harder to maintain my early-twenties body than to try to resurrect it at thirty-eight.

. . . I was more athletic. I like to run, but am depressingly slow. I played tennis in high school, but can't imagine how goofy I would look if I tried to do so again, and I am still stung by how much my children laughed at me when I tried to swim a few laps last summer.

. . . I possessed more patience.

. . . I could still water ski.

. . . I remembered how to launch these things, whatever they are, into the air. I know it involves wrapping the stem around the bud-thing, but I have apparently lost my touch when it comes to shooting plant matter into the air.


. . . I recalled my French. I remember bits and pieces of vocabulary, but not the grammatical structure of how to put it all together. When Curly Girl and I begin learning Spanish this year, I am hoping that my French floats back on my new Spanish knowledge.

. . . I was more social. Hubby and Curly Girl love being the life of the party, but I am definitely a more sit-back-and-watch-the-action kind of girl. Life would be easier for everyone though if I enjoyed chatting as much as they do. The thought of flitting around and making small talk at a large party strikes fear into my heart. I'd much rather just spend the evening with a few close friends.

. . . I could sing. When Car Guy is a bit older, I would love for our entire family to perform together in a community theatre production. Curly Girl and her father have performed in shows together, and I greatly enjoyed doing so while in high school. I don't think I could ever get up the nerve to sing again for an audition, though, and if the musical director did hear me sing, he wouldn't cast me anyway.

. . . I stepped out of my comfort zone more. I am definitely not a risk-taker. I am all about the tried and true, of traveling on the safe route. But I'm working on it.

That's it for me. What do you wish you remembered how to do? What would you like to change about yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment